The Diving Instructor Course Structure
Most dive professionals complete the entire IDC and go on to attend a PADI Instructor Examination (IE), which is the final step to earn a PADI Instructor certification.
Dive professionals who hold an instructor rating with another diver training organisation are eligible to enrol directly onto the OWSI program.
This program recognises prior instructor training and provides a path to become a PADI Instructor.
You also need:
- At least 60 logged dives to start the IDC and 100 dives to attend an IE.
- Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care (CPR and First Aid) training within the past 24 months.
- A medical statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months.
- You will also need to become an Emergency First Response Instructor.
What does the Diving Instructor Course on Malta teach you?
Our 14-day program will teach you how to conduct all PADI core courses. You’ll be able to organise and present information as well as to conduct skill development sessions and open water training dives.
You will become a better public speaker, develop first-class underwater demonstration skills and learn how to supervise and control student divers whilst ensuring diver safety.
We will teach you how to anticipate and solve common problems that occur when training divers, as well as correct positioning so you are always close to respond.
Our PADI Instructor Development Course will give you plenty of practice, in a role-playing environment.
The revised 2019 PADI Instructor Development Course has two parts; the online portion and the Course Director led portion.
The online section includes the following subjects within the IDC e-learning part of your digital IDC Crew Pack.
It is our requirement that you complete this section prior to arrival so that you have more time for practical workshops.
The e-learning curriculum contains the following subjects that are all completed online.
- Getting started
- Dive Theory for dive leaders
- PADI System overview
- Learning, Instruction & the PADI system
- Discover Scuba Diving & Experience programs
- The PADI Open Water Course
- Risk Management & Legal Consideration
- Managing Risk
- PADI Quality Management & Licensing
- Introduction to Teaching Presentations
- Conducting & Evaluating knowledge development
- Confined Water training
- Open Water training
- Continuing Education & Leadership Courses
- The Business of Diving
The rest of the IDC curriculum is Course Director led and consists of the following subjects:
- Dive Theory Workshop
- PADI System Workshop
- Learning and Teaching Workshop
- Discover Scuba Diving Workshop
- Open Water Dive Course Scheduling and Set Up Workshop
- Risk Management and Licensing Workshop
- Knowledge Development Presentation Workshop and Candidate Knowledge Development Presentations
- Skill Development Workshop
- Confined Water Training Workshop and Candidate Confined Water Teaching Presentations
- Open Water Training Workshop and Candidate Open Water Teaching Presentations
- Continuing Education Workshop
- Advanced Open Water Diver Course Workshop
- Rescue Diver Course Workshop
- Sales Techniques Workshop
- Course Close
What does Diveshack’s PADI IDC include?
- PADI Instructor Development course
- Emergency First Response Instructor Course
- Emergency Oxygen Provider Instructor Course
- Free Prep Course – 2 days duration
- Free Diving
- Lunch during the IDC
- Free T-Shirt
It’s highly recommended that as a PADI Pro you own your own full set of equipment. If you would like to purchase equipment when you are here we can offer you attractive discounts on all major brands.
If you do not own a full set of scuba, or for travel reasons do not want to bring your equipment with you, we can provide a Regulator, BCD, Mask, Snorkel and a wetsuit for you.
You will need to provide the following for the IDC, the IE and any teaching work you are involved in once you become a certified PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor as we do not provide these items, which are all required by PADI standards.
- Dive Computer
- Knife or diving tool
- Pocket mask
- Surface Market Buoy (SMB)
For your own set of PADI Instructor Manuals & Materials, you can purchase our IDC “Crew Pack”.
This comprises both the ‘digital crew pack’ and the physical crew pack with PADI Backpack
What do you get?
The PADI Digital IDC Crew Pack includes: (these are all online)
- IDC e-learning
- PADI Guide to Teaching
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- PADI Quizzes & Exam Booklets (Open Water, Rescue Diver, Divemaster)
- Project AWARE Specialty Instructor Outline
- Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty Instructor Outline
- PADI Open Water Course Prescriptive Lesson Guides
The PADI Physical IDC Crew Pack includes:
- PADI Backpack
- Dive Lesson Planning Slates [Confined and Open Water)
- PADI Dive Planning & Skill Practice Slate
- Open Water, Advanced, Rescue Diver, Divemaster course Instructor Cue Cards
Our 2021 IDCs are as follows:
|2021 March||2021 May||2021 August/ September||2021 October/ November|
|IDC||20 Feb – 4 Mar 2021||24 Apr – 3 May 2021||21 Aug – 30 Aug 2021||30 Oct – 8 Nov 2021|
|IDC Staff||23 Feb – 4 Mar2021||22 Apr – 3 May 2021||24 Aug – 30 Aug 2021||30 Oct – 8 Nov 2021|
|EFRI||28 Feb 2021||2 May 2021||29 Aug 2021||7 Nov 2021|
|OWSI||26 Feb – 4 Mar 2021||29 Apr – 6 May 2021||26 Aug – 30 Aug 2021||4 – 8 Nov 2021|
|MSDT prep||8 Mar – 10 Mar 2021||4 – 6 May 2021||31 Aug – 2 Sep 2021||9 – 11 Nov 2021|
|IE||5 – 6 Mar 2021||7 – 8 May 2021||3 – 4 Sep 2021 Gozo||12 – 13 Nov 2021|
If you have any questions regarding the IDC, please contact us.